Being charged with a crime is frightening. Whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony, you want a criminal lawyer on your side that you can trust. At Solon Law, Attorney Trevor Casperson brings many years of experience defending clients in the Utah criminal courts. His representation focuses on responsive client service that emphasizes strong advocacy throughout the entire legal process, from start to finish. Our firm strives to build trust as the foundation of our representation.
The consequences of being charged with a crime, whether you are found guilty or not, can be extreme. Criminal arrests and charges can be embarrassing, humiliating, and frightening. If your friends and family find out, you may be ostracized. If your employer finds out, you may be fired. You may also have trouble finding new employment, or rental housing, or become ineligible for professional licenses in your career of choice due to charges. Your health can also suffer from the stress that accompanies criminal cases, especially when they lead to trials.
Having Trevor In your corner can bring some measure of peace of mind knowing that he will be by your side throughout your ordeal with guidance and counsel focused on helping you achieve the best possible outcome.
Criminal Law Services We Provide
Solon Law serves clients with all types of criminal charges, whether minor misdemeanors or serious felonies including but not limited to the following:
- Drug-related crimes. These can include charges related to marijuana, narcotics, and unauthorized prescription medications. Charges can range from simple possession to large-scale drug trafficking.
- Violent crimes. These can range from simple assault to domestic violence crimes, voluntary and involuntary manslaughter, murder, and more.
- Robbery. Serious charges can include armed robbery as well as lesser forms of theft.
- Sex crimes. Accusations of sexually-related crimes can destroy your reputation. They can range from indecent exposure to rape, and more.
- DUI. DUI convictions result in a variety of penalties, including the loss of your license, that can seriously impact your life.
Other criminal charges can range from reckless driving to probation violations, property crimes, identity theft, shoplifting, embezzlement, and many more. Any of these can result in jail or prison time, steep fines, lengthy and restrictive probations, community service, or other court-ordered actions. With stakes this high, it is generally essential to have professional representation if you wish to accomplish a successful result.
What Does a Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
A criminal defense lawyer is a legal professional specializing in representing individuals or entities charged with criminal offenses. Our primary role is to advocate for our clients and ensure their rights are protected throughout the legal process. Here's an overview of what we, as criminal defense lawyers, do:
- Legal Advice: We provide legal advice to our clients, explaining the charges against them, potential consequences, and available legal options. We help clients understand the complexities of the legal system and guide them in making informed decisions.
- Case Evaluation: We assess the evidence, facts, and circumstances surrounding the case. We determine the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution's case and develop strategies to build a strong defense.
- Investigation: We conduct thorough investigations to gather evidence that supports our client's defense. This can involve interviewing witnesses, examining documents, and collaborating with experts to challenge the prosecution's claims.
- Legal Representation: We represent our clients during various stages of the legal process, such as arraignment, bail hearings, plea negotiations, trial, and appeals. We ensure that our client's rights are upheld and the proceedings fair.
- Plea Bargaining: We often negotiate with the prosecution to reach a plea bargain. This involves discussing potential reduced charges or penalties in exchange for the defendant's guilty plea. We advise our clients on the pros and cons of accepting a plea deal.
- Trial Preparation: We prepare a comprehensive strategy if the case goes to trial. This includes selecting a jury, crafting opening and closing statements, cross-examining witnesses, and presenting evidence challenging the prosecution's case.
- Legal Research and Analysis: We conduct legal research to identify relevant laws, statutes, precedents, and case rulings that can be used to support our client's defense. We use this research to build strong legal arguments.
- Protecting Rights: We ensure that our client's constitutional rights are protected, including the right to remain silent, a fair trial, and protection against illegal searches and seizures.
- Expert Witness Coordination: In cases that require specialized knowledge, such as forensic evidence or medical expertise, we may work with expert witnesses to present testimony that supports our client's defense.
- Client Advocacy: We fiercely advocate for our clients' best interests throughout the legal process. We challenge the prosecution's evidence, raise legal objections, and present counterarguments to establish reasonable doubt.
- Post-Conviction Matters: If our client is convicted, we can continue representing them during the sentencing phase and explore post-conviction options such as appeals, sentence reductions, or habeas corpus petitions.
- Confidentiality: We maintain strict attorney-client privilege, meaning all communication between us and our clients remains confidential.
Our primary goal as criminal defense lawyers is to protect our client's rights and ensure a fair legal process.
Request a free initial consultation with our Salt Lake City criminal attorney by contacting Solon Law by calling (801) 770-0073. Hablamos español.
I appreciated having themEstefania C.
I feel heard and protected in my divorce/custody caseSonya G.
I would give more than five starsTim B.