The decision of whether or not to hire a Salt Lake City child custody lawyer largely comes down to one issue – the ability of you and your spouse to work together. If every talk turns into a fight, having legal representation may be critical. But if the two of you can work out a mutually-agreeable solution on your own, you may not need an attorney.
That said, even if you’re not expecting a custody battle, you may want a legal professional on your side. Read on to see why hiring a child custody lawyer is in your best interests.
Issues with Not Having Legal Representation
Hiring an attorney isn’t required for child custody disputes in Utah, and if you represent yourself, you won’t have to pay any legal fees. The prospect of saving money can be enticing, but if you decide not to work with a child custody lawyer, you face a difficult struggle.
The reasons you may not want to go without legal representation include:
- You likely aren’t familiar with the people, procedures or particulars of the local court, which puts you at a disadvantage.
- The paperwork you’ll need to complete is complicated, and learning how to fill out every document properly will take extensive research.
- Making a filing mistake or overlooking an important step could end up costing you time with your child.
You can find a Salt Lake City child custody attorney – like Trevor Casperson of Solon Law – who offers affordable legal fees and fixed-cost services. Therefore, you don’t have to let money be the reason you represent yourself in court.
How a Custody Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
Having legal representation helps the custody arrangement process move along more quickly, and with a child custody lawyer fighting to protect your parental rights, you stand a stronger chance of obtaining a favorable outcome. While custody issues in Utah are based upon the best interests of the child, a lawyer will know how to present your arguments in the best light.
- An experienced local lawyer can handle every aspect of the custody process, including:
- Completing all of the paperwork and making sure each document is filed at the right time
- Gathering evidence that is admissible in court and can be used to persuade a judge to rule in your favor
- Assisting with personal character references and making sure witnesses are prepared for court
- Providing insight on the judge assigned to your case, explaining their thought process and the questions they may ask
- Developing a strategy for your court case and helping you practice presenting your personal testimony
In addition, should any custody disputes arise later on – such as non-compliance with the parent-time schedule or disagreements over decision-making – a Salt Lake City custody lawyer can alert the court and take action to preserve your parental rights.
Talk to an Experienced Custody Lawyer Today
You want to secure a favorable child custody arrangement – and Trevor Casperson of Solon Law is here to make that happen. Our legal team can provide you with full representation for an affordable price. Or, if you prefer, you can opt for custody lawyer mentoring sessions or our fixed-cost custody document preparation or document review services.