Decree Enforcement to Hold Them in Contempt

Decree Enforcement Can Get You Back Child Support, Child Care or Medical Fees and Other Relief Through an Order to Show Cause Hearing! 

If your ex-spouse is not paying child support, child care or medical expenses, or is bad mouthing you to your children, you need decree enforcement. You need to motion the court to hold an order to show cause hearing. 

These are the steps you need to take to start the process: (1) a Motion, detailing the violations of your ex; (2) a declaration in support of the motion along with supporting evidence; and (3) a proposed order which you will have the court sign and then serve upon your ex-spouse.  You will need to schedule a date for the hearing with at least 28 days so your ex-spouse has enough time to respond. Be aware that during this 28 day period your ex-spouse may also bring their own motion against you. You should respond if this happens.

What Will Happen at the Hearing?

The court will consider the language of the decree, the testimony of the parties, and any evidence introduced. The court will then make a judgment. You will need to summarize your argument. Make sure your argument is concise and that you do not focus on your personal feelings. The court then makes a judgment on contempt. Possible punishments include (1) fines, (2) jail time, (3) community service, and (4) parenting classes. The court may also order other things as appropriate.

This is not a quick process, and that frustrates people. It can sometimes take several hearings.

Decree enforcement can be intimidating. It’s not easy to stand up before a commissioner and plead your case persuasively. Judges are overworked, and will often lose focus or become frustrated if you don’t quickly get to the point. At Solon Law, we can provide you with quality representation that will help you put forth the best case possible to increase your chances of holding your ex-spouse in contempt. We take the time to listen to your problems, and collaborate in creating a motion that is best designed to get results. We also provide flexible representation options that can fit your budget.

Divorce doesn’t have to be a constant source of stress. If you’re ready to put a stop to your ex’s indiscretions, get your motion for an Order to Show Cause ready today! Call us now and we can help you enforce your decree.

Related Posts
  • Set Aside Your Decree, Don’t Live With a Mistake Read More
What Sets Solon Law Apart
  • Consistent Communication

    Quick response times and regular communication sets our firm apart - you'll feel like a priority here.

  • A Team That Genuinely Cares

    You're more than just a number to us; we value providing the highest level of service to every client.

  • Striving for Excellence

    As your advocates, we are deeply committed to excellence in every aspect of our practice.

  • Fair Pricing

    With our reasonable rates and compassionate team, you can feel confident choosing Solon Law Firm. 

Hablamos Español Contact Us

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (801) 770-0073.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.